Thursday, March 21, 2019

Meet my Guest: Bailie Hantam

Meet my lovely guest today, a debut author from Johannesburg, Bailie Hantam

Tell us about yourself and how many books you have written.
I'm from Johannesburg, South Africa. I've been married 15 years (March 20th) and have a twenty-year-old daughter. Breaking Her Defenses is my debut novel.

What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?
Breaking Her Defenses is about a woman with a whole lot of baggage who makes her way to Johannesburg and finds love and happiness. Inspired by real life, I suppose. I am from Cape Town, and I found the love of my life in Johannesburg.

Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre?
I love happily ever afters. Stories about love conquering all. And families. I've always been drawn to these elements and I couldn't see myself writing any other way.

What kind of research did you do, and how long did you spend researching before beginning this book?
I had to do some rudimentary research with the Department of Social Welfare. There's not much information available - in part because they're dealing with minors. So for a lot of it I had to use some poetic license.

How do you select the names of your characters?
The actually come to me only when a character pops onto a page. I wrote the entire first draft using the phrase - her brother - because his name would only come when he came into a scene, and he only appears in the last scene. It means having to go back a lot and insert names.

How do you like to collect and organise your ideas?
HAHAHAHAHA - I have a note. On my bedside table. And my desk. And my bookshelf. And my handbag. Once a month I try and organise them. Remembering what I was thinking when I wrote some like "His *bleep* was insignificant" is another challenge.

How long did it take you to write this book?
Three months

What's next for you as a writer?
Book 2 in the Series. Wyatt and Mini's Story

Author Bio *
Bailie Hantam lives in Johannesburg, South Africa. She's been writing stories her whole life. Her love for the romance genre started back in her teen years, when she devoured everything ending with a Happily Ever After. She put off writing for nearly two decades while she concentrated on raising her daughter and helping with her husband's business. Now, with an empty nest, and a little more free time, she is finally writing and giving those characters in her head their own Happily Ever After.



You can follow Bailie here:
Newsletter signup: https://bit.ly/2X20NmT


No comments:

Post a Comment