Thursday, January 24, 2019

Riley interviews Jakes du Plessis


There’s a lot more to Jakes du Plessis than muscle and strength as the eighth man for the Buffaloes Rugby Club, it appears. This fictional character in Francine Beaton’s Eye on the Ball, the first book in the Playing for Glory series, is not an easy man to interview. He doesn’t mind talking about rugby, but steer clear of other topics. This interview, however, is not about Jakes’ rugby career. I want to find out more about the man behind the devastating runs with the ball in hand.

You were baptised as John Jacques du Plessis. Why are you called Jakes?

“It is a nickname that came from high school. My family called me Jacques, as my Dad is also John. My teammates started to call me Jake. One day, after I had a good game, our coach said that it was almost as if there were two Jakes on the field.”

Which words or phrases do you most overuse?
“Focus, I guess. I started using it as part of my therapy,” he added, rubbing the now familiar rubber band on his wrist.

What kind of therapy are you going through?
Jakes seemed reluctant to answer. He finally only replied, “Maybe I’ll tell you
another time.”

O-kay. What is your favourite holiday?
Jakes suddenly chuckled, catching me by surprise. When he noticed my reaction, Jakes smiled, “A year ago I would’ve told you is the drive through the Golden Gate to Clarens to spend on the farm with my family.”

"And now?” I queried.
“I’m surprised I’m even saying this, as someone born in sunny South Africa. But it was ten days I spent with a beautiful woman and her family in Keystone, in the very snowy Colorado Mountains.”

What is your most treasured possession?
“A couple of paintings made for me and of me by someone very special.”

He winks at me, once more refusing to elaborate.

Who is your favourite hero of fiction?
I’m a sucker for crime novels and a huge fan of Dan Brown. I guess it would be Robert Langdon then, closely followed by Superman.

What is your idea of an ideal date?
“I think an ideal date should be any time you spend with someone special. Having said that, I like to cook. Maybe I’ll cook her a special meal, with candles and everything.”

Do you believe in love at first sight?
"If I haven’t experienced it, I would have said no…”

I could see that Jakes realised that he said more than he wanted to, as his voice trailed off and a flush spread over his face. I pretended to ignore it and carried on with the interview.

Who are your heroes in real life?
"My teammates."

What is your motto?
"Remember your focus. Remember your team. Remember the glory."

Favourite
Food: Braaivleis (Barbequed meat)
Drink: Hot chocolate, beer and wine
Colour: Red
Number: Eight
Musician/Band: Eurythmics

If you want to know more about Jakes and the special someone he still hasn’t named, follow this link:

No comments:

Post a Comment