Thursday, January 24, 2019

Riley interviews Angie Summers

It is not easy interviewing a character living on the other side of the world, but finally, I’ve managed to get hold of Angie Summers. We had to do this interview by Skype and our first session was interrupted but this time I’ve managed to complete the interview. It was much easier interviewing Angie, as we’ve become friends when she was in South Africa. Unfortunately, there was one topic Angie was reluctant to talk about and that was Jakes du Plessis. I guess it is still a touchy topic.

The start of the interview was innocuous, exchanging greetings and gossiping about our friends. If I wanted to know more about Angie’s relationship with Jakes particularly, I knew I had to tread lightly. I rather started with the most obvious and that was her art.

I believe you’ve been commissioned by Nicholas Carter to make two paintings of the Cooper brothers. How do you feel about that?
Angie’s face lit up. As usual, she didn’t just use her voice to communicate. Her hands and face tells the whole story. “I couldn’t believe it when I got the email from Rachel. I’ve hardly spoken a word to Nicholas when I was in South Africa, so I didn’t even know that I was an artist and then to get such a big commission… It is amazing.”

How did Nicholas find out?
The flush on her face was unmistakable and so was her sudden withdrawal but at least she answered truthfully – not that I think Angie can hide much of her emotions. “I made a painting of Jakes and asked Rayno’s Mom to deliver it to Jakes. She left it at the Stadium with Rachel and Nicholas saw it.”

Well, I’ve seen some of your paintings, and you deserve it. What else are you working on?
Apart from those two paintings, I’ve also been selected to be part of a Young Artist’s exhibition in New York, and I am preparing for that. Nic Walters also commissioned me to do a painting of him.”

Are you painting full-time now? I remember you mentioned that you worked as an art therapist as well. “Yes, I’ve decided to paint fulltime this year. If it all goes well, I won’t go back to art therapy.”

Didn’t you like art therapy? “No, it’s not that. I loved it, but I guess I’m a bit of a softie. My heart breaks every time I have to work with an abused child or a pensioner who is so lonely, that the highlight of their week is that hour they spend with me. Maybe later, but not now.”

Have you always known that you want to be an artist or was there something else you wanted to do?” Angie didn’t even think about it. Her answer was immediate when she smiled, “That’s all I ever wanted to do. Art is like breathing for me. If I couldn’t paint fulltime, I would still have liked to have to do something with art, like the therapy or art classes.”

What do you do to relax? Angie laughed, “I paint.”

No, I mean, what else do you do? Angie wrinkled her nose, thinking hard, “I read. Listen to music, visit with my family or friends but that’s about it.”

What is your favourite holiday destination? “I loved my visit to South Africa apart from… Apart from… Geez, Riley, you know what happened.”

Not really. One day I thought things were going well between you and Jakes, and the next day you were gone. What happened? Angie shrugged, “I finally found out where I stood with Jakes. I couldn’t do it again. I had enough of the way he treated me. I never knew where I stood with him and it was just getting too much. It was as if he had a secret that stopped him from moving forward.”

I’m curious. I remember you told us how you met, and the way he spoke to you that first night when you by accident poured water over him. How come you still let him close? Weren’t you angry with him? “I was, hence the second dousing with the cold water,” Angie chuckled.

But that night when he spoke to you like that, why didn’t you react? Angie sighed, “I wish I had but I’m a typical Pisces. I don’t like confrontation at any time. I wish I could be more aggressive but I’m just not like that. Unfortunately, I’m one of those people who only think of a comeback when it’s too late. When I met Jakes, I was in a difficult position. I desperately needed the job to help my friend, Clara, so I learned to keep my mouth shut, even though the customers were rude or obnoxious – which Jakes was. Also, I was so tired that night after I’ve looked after Clara’s son Thomas the previous night and the whole day when he was sick and then I had a fight with my ex. I just didn’t have the energy to fight with Jakes then.

I know it is a personal question, but I recently had an interview with Jakes and… Angie’s eyes widened and she audibly pulled in her breath. Then she asked quietly, “How is he?”

Actually, I was quite surprised by Jakes’ interview. I thought he would’ve been down after his recent injury but he was quite upbeat and open. Even though his friends were there to support him, he didn’t need them. I heard about his behaviour in the past, and it made me curious. How did you know how to deal with Jakes that he opened up to you? “I don’t know. I guess it’s just part of my nature. And you must remember, I’m a qualified art therapist. I didn’t realise it at first, but the evening he apologised, I figured out what Jakes’ problem was. I spoke to the psychologist at the Centre and she gave me valuable advice like signs to look out for and how to help him.

What is your most treasured possession?
“A charm bracelet...”

When Angie trailed off, not elaborating further, I decided to step further in the muddled waters, hoping to get to the bottom of Angie’s sudden return to the US. That Jakes was behind it was obvious, but I still hoped she would open up. Maybe it was not the best questions for her, but I know this is what the readers want to know so I persevered by asking, ‘What is your idea of an ideal date?’
I don’t like big crowds and loud music so a sunset or sunrise picnic, a walk and a surprise home-cooked dinner is far more appealing than big gestures.

Do you believe in love at first sight?
Angie sighed, looking suddenly so forlorn that I wished I hadn’t asked the question. Just when I wanted to reassure her that she didn’t have to answer, she sighed, “I do. I wish I hadn’t, but I do.”

Who are your heroes in real life?
My parents.

What is your motto?
“Chin up”

Favourite…
Food: Don’t laugh, but I’ve learned to love your biltong and boerewors.
Drink: Hot chocolate, coffee and wine
Colour: Green
Number: Eight
Musician/Band: calming, peaceful music, Enya,

No comments:

Post a Comment