Thursday, May 2, 2019

Meet my Guest: Harper Dell

Today, meet my guest, Harper Dell and celebrate with her, her newest release, Touch Me.

Tell us about yourself and how many books you have written.
I am a writer by trade and by heart. I have written everything from technical research papers to daily soap opera but my passion is for romantic fiction. Thus far I have written four holiday romance novellas - my Love Bites - and the first two in my contemporary family romance series. Trust Me follows Brianna and Cole's love story, while Touch Me focuses on youngest Sister Skye Hanson, her gay husband Jaimie and her deepening relationship with Zach as she comes into her own. Both books feature a central love story with lots of family drama in between.

What is the name of your latest book and what inspired it?
My book which has just released is Touch Me: Book 2 in the Hanson family series. As a series, I guess the whole thing was inspired by the fact that I come from a big family myself and know the ins and outs of sibling drama. For Skye's love story, I've often seen couples together where the husband is clearly gay and wondered why they are together. I decided to tackle this tricky subject as Skye, married to gay hubby Jaimie, realizes she needs something more. She has to navigate her way out of a comfortable marriage while still keeping her best friend (Jaimie) and being brave enough to confront her own sexuality with Zach. Is her husband Jaimie ready to do the same? Is Skye still a virgin? Does Zach need her as much as she needs him? How will she handle a family bombshell her sister Hannah is about to drop on her? You'll have to read the book to find out ;) (And all this in between planning sister Brie’s engagement party, getting a promotion, and coming to the rescue of a forgotten diva.)

Why did you choose to write in your particular field or genre?
I guess I am a romantic at heart. I remember reading my mother's Mills and Boons as a teenager and even submitting a synopsis to them written by hand. I'm the last person you'll find watching a horror movie and I'm a sucker for grand gestures, not to mention the small things like making your partner a cup of tea or just listening when they talk. There were also some practical considerations in my decision - romance is really popular (though also competitive) and being shorter books I would be able to write quicker and give my readers what they want.

What kind of research did you do, and how long did you spend researching before beginning this book?
This is one of the reasons I decided not to write historical romance :) Seriously though, I tend to research as I go along and as questions arise. My main focus with this series is researching the area the characters live in, where they explore (given that it's set in the United States) and also their chosen careers. In this case, since Skye is a Head Writer on a soap opera, I had the inside track, having written on soap opera myself. I did, however, approach my ex Head Writer boss to check on a couple of things for accuracy.

How do you select the names of your characters?
Given that they are love stories I think of the couple's names together and if they have a nice rhythm. Later in the book I sometimes realize they don't have surnames :) and have to come up with one. I tend to choose names that sound romantic but I guess that's a subjective thing.

How do you like to collect and organise your ideas?
Not very well. I do a basic chapter by chapter outline (which is usually a sentence or two per chapter). I'm working on doing better outlines so I can write the next books faster.

How long did it take you to write this book?
This one took a year as I had a major life move in between and it was a tricky subject with several emotional journeys - not just the hero and heroine. I plan to write and release at least two more books in the series this year now that I am more settled, to maintain moment.

What's next for you as a writer?
The rest of the Hanson family series. There are five siblings, plus mom, Jaimie and a couple of other surprises. I'm also working on a shorter series set in a ballet company for quick release when it's ready.

Author Bio 
Romance author, Harper Dell, writes heartwarming, sexy romantic fiction. Strong plots, high on emotion, combine with love, romance, family ties and, of course, dollops of steamy sex. Along with fiction, Harper writes and edits for daily soap opera and television drama.

You can follow Harper here:

 

#harperdell #guest #blogger #francinebeaton #romance #touchme #amazon #newrelease #southernafricanindieauthorsgroup #saiag #romancebook


No comments:

Post a Comment